The question comes up again and again – which plug-ins should be used in the sequencer for which use scenario? Certainly, there are famous manufacturers such as “Waves”, “Arts Acoustic”, “Antares”, “FabFilter”, Magix (AM Suite / VE Suite / Variverb) and others, but quality, of course, comes at a price.
For those who want to first experiment around, there are amazingly good freeware plug-ins that you can download for free. To give you an overview of good freeware plug-ins, I have compiled this list of my favorites, along with their links.
This collection includes pretty much all essential tools for a balanced music production:
- Auto filter: Enables creative effects like filter sweeps and auto wah-wah
- Chorus: Classic chorus plug-in
- Compressor: Crisp and warm sounds. May be applied to vocals and instruments
- Delay: Classic echo/delay mashine
- EQ: 7 band stereo graphic equalizer: even out lows, mids and highs
- Flanger: “Swirl” sounds – just try it out
- Master Limiter: To equalize the volume of the Master Mix, or in other words: MAKE IT LOUD
- Phaser: Emulated classic phasers from the 70′s and 80′s
- Reverb: From the shower to the concert hall, anything is possible
Aixcoustic Electri-Q: One of the best freeware equalizers. A small but powerful phase EQ, which can be used with any audio material. Good presets.
Camel Audio CamelCrusher: Multi-effect plug-in, especially distortion
DaSample Glace Verb: An additional reverb plug-in, but the only one that models liquid acoustic spaces such as water.
Dblue Glitch: One of my favorite effects. Splits your audio material and comes with a series of effects: apestop, Modulator, Retrigger, Shuffler, Reverser, Crusher, Gater, Delay and Stretcher. An absolute must!.
Frettedsynth Audio FreeAmp 2: Guitar amp simualtion with many effects and presets
Very good multi-FX plug-in. Includes the following effects: Filter and 3-band EQ, compressor, overdrive and distortion, crusher and stereo imager, chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo delay and reverb
Digital Fishphones The Fish Fillets: A collection of highly recommended plug-ins.
Blockfish: A good-sounding compressor
Spitfish: A de-esser to remove “s” sounds
Floorfish: Expander/gate effect