Once your website has been created, the site is finally online … but how do other Internet users find it? How can the traffic be increased? How can the website attract the attention of the vastness of the Internet?
Most visitors find websites through search engines like Google. Therefore, a first answer to the questions above can be found in the acronym SEO – which stands for Search Engine Optimization. This optimization is based on reasonable assumptions, which every owner of a website should be aware of in order to attract more visitors from search engines . Because attention is the currency of the 21st century and even the hottest sites on the Net are not being paralysed by streams of visitors without a little SEO. The most important goal of SEO is to bring a homepage good results in the ranking of search engines like Google, Bing, etc. This requires the owner of a homepage to keep in mind a few things:
- First of all the owner of a website must give thought to the keywords with which he wants to bring visitors to his site – always think from the perspective of the seeker! If the site for example offers wellness massages then keywords like “wellness”, “massage” or “wellness massage” will guarantee rather little success – competition from other sites is simply too big. In this case, it is better to limit the offer to those people, who actually will appreciate the service in the real world. So rather use a combination of keywords such as “massage Berlin Prenzlauer Berg” and take a look into an online dictionary of synonyms to extend the search terms. To stay with our example, we can expand our keywords with terms like “body massage” or “health massage”. The search potential for every keyword compared to another one can be checked easily on Google’s free service, “Insights for Search”.
- On the basis of the keyword search, the content is written for the site. The keywords or keyword combinations must, in the best case, be exactly adopted in the text, as they are searched for on the search engine. That means to let the keywords appear in their exact combination and their exact grammatical form within the text with a certain regularity. Especially with HTML editors, some more optimization can be achieved. It is important to place the keywords here in H1 and H2 (headline and subheading). But always remember that the text is not only “read” by search engines. Also, the visitor to the site needs to be convinced by them – therefore, despite all the optimization try to make the text as readable as possible.
- In addition to the visible content on the page, search engines also react on the so-called meta tags. These are the title of the site (ca. 60-70 characters), the description of the site (ca. 150 characters) and the tags of the site (max. 5 words). These meta-tags should always relate to the content of the website, be meaningful and correspond with the keywords used on the site.
- In the software Website Maker from MAGIX to add meta tags to a website, open the “More” menu in Website Maker, select “Settings”, and add your meta tags.
- In the Web Designer from MAGIX to add meta tags go to “File/Publish website/Website”
Search engines are always looking for new content with high relevance. Therefore, try to present new content in brief intervals or update the old content occasionally.
A more detailed overview on the topic can be found here.